Thursday, April 7, 2011

Big Boy Bed

About a week ago, we finally made the move to put Evan in a bed he could actually get out of.  It was a scary move for us!  I know he could have climbed out of his crib if he really wanted to get out, but he never did so we were content to leave him there. It was great not having to worry about him wondering around while we were sleeping and even better that we could sleep soundly through the night even if he woke up because he'd eventually just lie back down and go to sleep.  I was dreading the long nights of him constantly getting out of bed and me putting him back in bed. But, with summer trips fast approaching where he would not have a crib, we thought we better do the switch.

OH MY GOSH!  He has done so fabulous (I just jinxed it I'm sure).  He was super excited about his big boy bed (which is what we call it although it's just a toddler rail on his crib).  He thought it was so awesome he could climb in and out.  First night, we tucked him in and told him we'd come get him in the morning.  He got up once right away but we put him right back in bed and told him to stay in bed... and he did!  He didn't come out again until after 7am the next day. 

Fast forward to nap-time... this I was also dreading. Most days when I put him in his crib for nap, he would just stand in his crib and cry out "Mommy, come get me" until he'd give up, lay down, and fall asleep. I just assumed he would NOT be napping if he could get out of bed.  But what do you know! He again did great!!  One day, he did get up twice but each time, I just put him back in bed and eventually he fell asleep and took a great nap.

So far, every day has been fantastic! Each morning he wakes up and I hear him and then I go and get him out of his bed.He waits for me to come! One night, I did hear him wake up at like 1am, but he went right back to sleep.  Nap time, I usually let him take a book to bed. I'll hear him talking/singing for a bit but then he eventually falls asleep.  It definitely helps if I've tired him out in the morning ;)

Overall though, I don't think I could have asked for it to go any better! I'm so proud of you Evan.

Evan in his big boy bed

He has to have all his stuffed animals in it. He won't use a blanket although I am trying to get him to use one by "tucking" him in with that little blue blanket.

Love my bed mommy!

And because I didn't want Caitlin to feel left out...

Here's Caitlin waiting for me in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment