Sunday, July 18, 2010

My Dad

I know this blog is mostly for the kids, but I wanted to take the opportunity to write a little bit about my Dad.  A year ago tomorrow (Monday) was when my Dad passed away suddenly.  It wasn't something I was even remotely prepared for.  Somehow, we all got through that tough time so thank you to everyone who gave us the love and support we needed.  Looking back, the calling and funeral were so touching.  To meet so many people who knew my dad, who were affected by him.  To hear the stories about him and how respected he was.  To hear how he talked about his family to others... such pride and love in his voice.  To know they were just how he would have wanted them... a wonderful military service at the War Memorial followed by a beautiful military processional to the gravesite.  Those are things I know would have meant a lot to my Dad.  So thanks to anyone who made all that possible and told those stories.  I'd still love to hear more if anyone ever wants to share.

I miss him a great deal and still find it difficult to think of him without some sadness.  Mostly because of all the things he is missing - seeing Evan walk for the first time, his first (and almost 2nd) birthdays, meeting Caitlin.  Living so far away from my parents, my daily life isn't much different... but all the milestones, the holidays, the birthdays - things where he'd be here or I'd tell him about - aren't quite as joyful as they should be. 

Anyway, I just needed to write a little something to remember him and acknowledge the day.  Overall, my family is doing well.  I'm blessed in so many ways.  Please think of him tomorrow (or today depending when you read this) and say a little prayer for him.  Here are just a few pics I had on my computer that I thought I'd share.  Someday when I have time, I want to get all the old pics that my mom has and scan them to put on my computer.  When I have time seems very far away though :)

My Dad walking me down the aisle

My mom and dad at my wedding - I love this picture!

My dad and my sister when she was little - don't have many digital pics from the young days... need to get those scanned and onto my computer!

My brother, sister (in Dad's arms), and I with my Dad - probably a National Guard weekend!

At graduation for my Master's from UT (dad, mom, me, Bryce, and my Grandpa)

My Mom and Dad at my sister's wedding

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit, I got a little teary eyed when reading this. I am sure you miss your dad so much. I'm sorry he isn't with you right now on this earth! I will definitely keep you guys in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics Kathryn. I talked to you today and did not realize today was a year. I love the post and think it's a great way to help remember. Thinking of you today and always, Sarah, Dave and Julian

    ReplyDelete