Saturday, May 15, 2010

Car Trip #2 - arrived safely

Well, we've started the Stacer Family Adventure #2.  My maternity leave is almost over so I figured I'd take advantage and visit our families in Indiana and Michigan before having to return to work, especially since Bryce needed to be in Michigan for Memorial weekend anyway. On Thursday night, my sister and I drove from Austin, TX to Indianapolis, IN WITHOUT STOPPING (I mean, except for food and gas).  WITH TWO KIDS.  I know, you think who is this crazy woman taking two kids on a 1,089 mile journey??  I guess I just usually block out all the things that could possibly go wrong with the idea and assume it will go to plan.  And fortunately, it did minus a few hiccups.

We got on the road by 8pm after doing bath/bedtime routine for the kids with the idea being they'll sleep through the night and most of the journey.  Well, Caitlin did great. She fell asleep when we got in the car and slept until about 5am.  Evan, he talked for maybe an hour then fell asleep as well.  We were doing great, made it past Dallas, then somewhere along I-30, I got pulled over for speeding.  Not that I was going that fast but when it's 1am and no one is around, it's sometimes hard not to go over the speed limit.  The cop was super nice and just gave me a warning (evidence of the fact that I wasn't speeding too much) but it woke up Evan.  After that, he really didn't sleep much again.  He just sat there, staring off into the darkness but he was mostly quiet!  We stopped at 5am to feed Caitlin and let him walk around a little.  After that, he slept maybe an hour and then woke up so we put the movie Cars on for him which he liked.  We stopped for breakfast around 9am.  We stayed maybe an hour so he could run around the playscape at the McDonalds while we fed Caitlin and changed lots of diapers and clothes (since Evan had peed through his jammies).  He still wasn't sleeping but he was SO tired that he was getting a little cranky.  We put on Nemo (his favorite) and that kept him occupied until we arrived in Indy!   Caitlin was pretty much quiet or sleeping the entire trip.  Evan did great considering he hardly slept after about 1am. 

I think the worst part was how tired Becca and I were from being up most of the night and not getting much good sleep in the car.  But, the kids... I probably couldn't have asked for much better behavior when you think about everything that could have gone wrong.  Let's hope the trip back in 2 weeks goes just as smoothly!  I'll try and update the blog with what we are doing while in Indy and Michigan if I have time.

Here's just a few random pictures of the kids because we know that's why you all read the blog anyway :)


Caitlin in the bumbo

Evan doing tummy time with Caitlin


No comments:

Post a Comment