Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Camp Mabry Open House

Camp Mabry is the local National Guard/Army base here in Austin.  They had an open house one weekend in April where the public was invited to come see demonstrations and check out the base.  Lately, Evan has been VERY into everything army/battle related. He keeps bringing home books from the school library on tanks, submarines, jets, air craft carriers, etc.  So, when I saw this was happening, I knew it would be a great surprise.

First stop was an old jeep from WWI or WWII

Then we met a National Guard soldier who showed Evan how to hold his gun

We then had to wait for the military demonstration to begin.  The only bad part about the day is that this was running behind... I think we had to wait about 45 min past when it actually was supposed to happen, and we could not go to the rest of the area until it was over. And this of course turned out to be a VERY hot day for Austin in April. But the wait was worth it.

First they had two people parachute in with flags.

Then, a police helicopter landed.

Then it was the blackhawk/Humvee demonstration.  

The soldiers taking down the "bad guys".  They actually fired blanks (which was exciting for Evan but very loud for Caitlin). After the exercise, we met some soldiers who gave the kids some empty shell casings.

Smoke to signal the medical chopper

Here comes the rescue team! The Blackhawk helicopter circled the perimeter the whole time.

Lowering the medic to take care of the wounded soldier

And flying the soldier out of the combat area

After the demonstration, we were allowed to make our way around the parade route to check out the military equipment. 


First up was a little bird I think (Bryce knew all the names - I think he had as much fun as Evan!)

Evan getting to fly

Caitlin in the back of the blackhawk

Kids with the helicopter that had the cool lasers on the front (again, Bryce would remember the name)

Then, we waited in line so the kids could go into the "tank" which was really a Bradley (but looks like a tank to me and Evan).  It was VERY small/tight in there so only a few people could go in at a time.

Evan climbed up to the top to peer out

So did Caitlin

Say hi to Mom and Ryan! 

Climbing out of the tank through the front
\
Caitlin's turn

This is why I call it a tank (totally has tank wheels - don't you think?)

And I was there too just in case you thought I wasn't.

Besides the heat, it was a great day.  This is one of those things where I wish my Dad could have been there.  He would have known so much about all of it and could have told the kids stories and facts.  Plus, it reminded me of the days when we would go to the National Guard base as kids.  But I'm sure he was enjoying it with us :)  Evan loved it, and I actually thought it was all pretty neat. Definitely will do it again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment