Thursday, July 26, 2012

Michigan 2012 - Part 3

Sleeping Bear Dunes

On Tuesday, we all ventured to Sleeping Bear Dunes which is a National Lakeshore near Traverse City. I used to come here during the summer when my family would vacation in Grayling, MI.  I was very excited to see it again after many years and take my kids to something I experienced as a child. Plus, we had a gorgeous day to explore.

First stop was the visitor's center where we planned our day. We did the Scenic Loop drive first which has various overlooks to stop at.
First family picture at the dunes!

Lake Michigan was a beautiful blue. Here the kids are playing in the sand overlooking the lake.

Caitlin and Daddy

The dunes you see in the background are the Sleeping Bear Dunes (name comes from an legend about a mother bear and her two cubs).
Caitlin and Daddy looking out over the Dunes

Picture with Mommy

I was able to snap a few cute pictures of the kids in the Dunes. Up first is Evan.

The two of them

And Caitlin!
Family photo in front of Sleeping Bear

After doing the scenic drive, we headed to Glen Haven where there is a nice beach area on Lake Michigan. We packed picnic lunches and ate on the beach while the kids got to play in the water. It was VERY cold so they really didn't do much more than splash around.
Julian, Ray, and Evan

Hadley, Julian, and Evan

Julian got his diaper soaked and I couldn't resist the cute baby bum!

Daddy ventured into the water a little bit with the kids - it was WAY too cold for me.

This is as far as I went and only for a picture

After lunch, we all kind of scattered.  Bryce and I took the kids to the Dune Climb which is as huge dune you climb up and then can walk around on top towards Lake Michigan. It is pretty steep and obviously all sand so it is somewhat difficult to do (definitely tiring).  We brought the Ergo as I knew there was no way Caitlin would make it up with her short little legs.  I wasn't sure about Evan...
This is a picture from the top looking down towards the parking lot to give you an idea of how far we climbed.
Once you get to the top, it's fairly flat and you can hike a few miles to the Lake.
Daddy and the kids... we made it!
Family photo at the top
Coming back down the climb is actually a lot of fun.  Here's a pic of Caitlin doing part of it by herself. She looks so tiny!

And last is a video of Evan and Bryce running down the Dune.  Evan loved it and the nice thing is if you fall, at least it's sandy!
(If you can't see the video, click on the Happenings in the Stacer Household at the top of the email and it will take you to the actual blog where you can see it.)

 After the dune climb, we met a few friends in Glen Arbor which is a small town just east of the park.  We wanted to do a little wine tasting (as this area of Michigan is known for it).

Evan enjoying the wine tasting (actually at this place, they had some cherry flavored soda the kids got to try).

Caitlin trying some "wine" too.

Overall, it was a very fun day.  I'm glad I got to experience this with my own children and remember all the fun times my own family had when we came to Michigan each summer.

2 comments:

  1. what a neat place!! gorgeous view! looks like such a fun fun trip!! and I agree, love the video! Bryce is such a good sport! :)

    ReplyDelete