Monday, December 17, 2012

Start of the Christmas Season

For the first time, I took the kids downtown for the Chuy's Giving Parade.  We met up with the Krolls.  I've never actually been before but had read that they have some of those big balloons, etc. The kids really enjoyed watching the Macy's parade this year with the big balloon characters so I thought they'd enjoy this as well.

It was pretty crowded but we did get there right when it started.  We were at the end of the parade route so we didn't want to arrive too early.  The kids found a spot near the front so they could see although I had to stand back from them a bit.  

Our first big balloon!

A whole Star Wars troop came by... it was impressive!

Overall, it was fun but the parade lasted much longer than I thought (they'd said an hour and it was easily an hour and a half). We left after an hour to grab some lunch before heading home. I think the kids enjoyed it though.

Later that evening we met some more friends downtown for the annual Tree Lighting at the Capitol! We've done this almost every year for the last at least 10 years or something. It was very warm that evening which makes it a little odd to be singing carols and celebrating Christmas for me but it's still one of my favorite Christmas traditions we've started here.

Kids hanging out while caroling

Caitlin and Avery dancing

We ran inside to use the restroom at the Capital. The kids and Bryce are looking up at the dome.

We always like to head to the grassy area so the kids can run around. AJ and Caitilin played ring around the rosy for awhile... it was so cute!

All the kiddos walking down from the Capital towards the tree after the lighting.

And our annual picture with the tree in the background!

It was super crowded this year (or at least it just seemed more crowded than in the past) so we didn't walk around for long before we headed to Chuy's for a late dinner. Still, a great family tradition and evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment